1) A gun-related tragedy happens
2) Everyone wonders how this could possibly happen.
3) Conservatives argue that looser gun laws would solve the problem.
4) Liberals suggest that civilian access to assault rifles, and large ammunition clips contribute to the large number of casualties.
5) However, Democrats propose no legislation, because of pressure from the N.R.A. which is usually self-inflected, and inherent weakness from Democrats, and an aversion to any political conflict.
6) Republicans push through pro-gun legislation on the state level, increasing the availability of guns intended to kill large amounts of people.
7) Go back to step one
1) A gun-related tragedy happens in a “gun-free zone” (sometimes schools, most recently in a theater that didn’t permit concealed carry). People ignore the fact that people defending themselves doesn’t sell papers.
2) Some wonder why the criminal didn’t obey the laws regarding firearms.
3) Some people usually suggest that more laws concerning firearms would somehow solve the problem. An emotional response is quickly elicited from people.
4) Liberals demonstrate a failure to understand firearm terminology.
The semi-automatic rifle used in the Colorado theater killings jammed during the rampage, apparently because of a problem with the 100-shot magazine feeding it, a law enforcement source with direct knowledge of the investigation said Sunday.
Anyone who knows firearms knows that large capacity magazines are notoriously unreliable. Probably the perpetuation of the high capacity magazines as being useful equipment has saved people. A similar situation occurred in Tuscon when a man attempted to assassinate Gabrielle Giffords. If the shooter had quality regular capacity magazines, his rifle would have functioned correctly.
Supporters of gun control still don’t understand what an assault rifle is.
An AR-15 is not an assault rifle.
Liberals ignore the fact that most murders with firearms are committed by with handguns and that “assault-style weapons” are used in very, very few crimes, usually maintain that they are the biggest problem. Tunnel vision based on emotion instead of reason.
5) Some cite the NRA as a problem, ignore the fact that most Americans own firearms and don’t support “gun control”.
6) Legislation permitting citizens to defend themselves is rarely passed.
7) Politicians continue to state that public safety supersedes freedom. Incidents occasionally occur.
Aurora, Colorado has strict gun control legislation on the books and the policy of the theatre chain is anti-gun which was probably a contributing factor to the fact that no one else in the theatre was armed because they were law abiding citizens. The suspect on the other hand was already prepared to kill people, which there are laws against, so what, did you expect him to ignore homicide laws but respect gun control laws?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.